Solid shampoo bars are increasing in popularity in the UK as people try to cut down on plastic. Figures show sales of traditional soap increased by almost three per cent last year, reversing a long downward trend. Now shampoo bars seem set to take centre stage in the world of solid soaps and plastic free toiletries.
Can you use shampoo bars as soap?
Shampoo bars be used on your body as well as your hair, so not only can you lose your shampoo bottles, but also your shower gel too. You can also use your shampoo bar as soap.
Do you need conditioner after a shampoo bar?
Some people can do without a conditioner when they use a natural shampoo bar as the natural oils and butters condition the hair and add shine. However many people, especially those with longer hair will need a conditioner to detangle and nourish.
Our Shampoo Bars
We hand make the shampoo bars in our Dartmoor kitchen using the traditional cold process method. Our all-natural solid shampoo bars produce a rich creamy lather and leave your hair squeaky clean, healthy and shiny.
Each of our bars are enriched with super effective natural ingredients to really cleanse, strengthen and nourish your hair and scalp:
- Jojoba oil: protects against dryness, breakage and split ends.
- Avocado oil: moisturises, repairs, strengthens and helps hair growth.
- Castor oil: stimulates hair growth and promotes a healthy scalp for less dandruff.
- Coconut oil: adds strength, reduces dandruff and conditions.
- Olive oil: adds strength and shine and seals in moisture.
- Shea butter: reduces scalp irritation and prevents breakage.
- Orange essential oil: antiseptic and anti-inflammatory for healthy hair.
- English Lavender essential oil: helps promote hair growth and improves scalp health.
- Lemon essential oil: helps keeps hair strong, healthy and shiny.
- Rosemary essential oil: promotes strong and healthy hair.
Dartmoor Skincare shampoo bars are suitable for children, are free from palm oil, parabens, sulphates, synthetic colours and fragrances as well as being officially certified as cruelty free and are vegan friendly too.
How do you wash your hair with a shampoo bar?
Although it feels a bit different at first, shampoo bars are easy to use. Simply wet your hair in the shower and rub the bar over your scalp and work through your hair. Or create a lather in your hands and apply to your hair, then rinse thoroughly. If you have long hair be careful not to make it knotty by rubbing too much backwards and forwards and creating a ‘backcombing’ effect.
How long do shampoo bars last?
Keep your bar dry when not in use and it will typically last 4 to 5 times longer than a bottle of shampoo, that’s about 80 washes.
Some people take to the bar straightaway and for others their hair feels oilier. It may just take a little time for your hair to adjust after using liquid shampoos which can strip all the natural oils. Overtime the natural oils will help condition and strengthen your hair, adding lustre and volume, you may find also you can wash your hair less frequently.
They make the perfect travel companion. They are light, take up little space, create no spills and really are your shampoo, shower gel and conditioner and in one.